Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Watch out for YouTube commenting

YouTube comments

 I am quite hooked to YouTube movies and share sometimes my thoughts or opinion in the comment section. I am always factual and mostly polite although some jokes may have a sharp edge. The only downside is that from time to time you encounter a troll who just goes on and on without proper knowledge. These trolls are not worth the effort but they still got on my nerve.

 There was discussion about Linux where I posted that Windows NT had earlier proper SMP than Linux (which only got it with Linux 2.0 and still had remnants of the big kernel lock until 2011). Some dude suddenly pulled NetWare in the discussion.  Many of my answers were backed up by Gemini and I checked some of the links used just to be sure. Here was the thread:

@heno02: "NetWare had SMP support in 4.11 released in 1996. Granted NT had SMP support when it was released in '93 but up until Windows 2000 nobody in their right mind would choose NT over NetWare, because NT was not scalable."

@gast128: "The discussion is about Linux not Netware. According to Google Netware 4.11 did not support fully SMP with a kernel running mostly on CPU 0. It had optional protective domains but this was not as good as NT process protection. NT was scalable to 2-4 CPU's and we ran a 2 processor machine back then. NT was the superior application server. Netware (3.x11) in 1993 had the upper edge in file and print serving and could already run with 4 MB where NT at least needed 12 MB and preferably (a lot) more."

@heno02: "
> NT was scalable to 2-4 CPU's and we ran a 2 processor machine back then

Cool, cool. Netware 4.11 was scalable to 32 processors. The kernel was dedicated to socket 0, but all other NLM's that supported SMP could be run on the other sockets. I remember running Windows NT 3.51 as a file server in a large organization before switching jobs where they used 4.11. Administrating Netware was laughably better than NT.

Remind me, when did Microsoft introduce directory services, again?"

@gast128: "If you kernel can only run on CPU-0 it means that it's not scalable at all since many functionality (e.g. interrupt handling) are dependent on the kernel. I am not going to discuss with an uneducated person who thinks that Netware 4.11 was more scalable than NT while a simple Google search will tell you otherwise namely that the other 31 CPU's were idling waiting for the kernel to respond. Even Novell thought the same and rewrote the kernel for Netware 5 for better SMP support."

@heno02: "
> claims he is so much more educated by implication

> manages to conjure absolute uneducated nonsense

Buddy, you're calling someone uneducated while just making up how these operating systems worked. NT supported more processors than 4, and your interrupt example is just silly. The LAN driver SMP architecture could dynamically distribute interrupts across additional processors in Netware.

"the other 31 CPUs were idling waiting for the kernel." is a hilarious statement coming from someone claiming to know what they are talking about."

So the dude started trolling and my response was a bit hardened:

@gast128: "Since you didn't use Google and start trolling let me give you the links. From the Novell support site: "In NetWare SMP, the CPU load is not split equally across all processors.  Processor 0 is treated differently from all other processors in NetWare SMP. " And "NetWare 4.11 SMP provides no improvement for file system performance. With the current release of NetWare SMP, all file system access must be handled by processor 0.". I develop multi threaded C++ software for decades and have a pretty good understanding how OS-es works. Perhaps you can share what your credentials are so I know where my time is spent on."

Unfortunately this comment wasn't shown up and probably made hidden by YouTube's algorithms. So I asked Gemini what to do about it and it recommend to remove some of the text which might be flagged as aggressive. 

@gast128: "According to the Novell support site: "In NetWare SMP, the CPU load is not split equally across all processors. Processor 0 is treated differently from all other processors in NetWare SMP." And: "NetWare 4.11 SMP provides no improvement for file system performance. With the current release of NetWare SMP, all file system access must be handled by processor 0." Either way your original claim that Netware 4.11 was SMP has been multiple times refuted by Novell's own documentation."

 This didn't also show up. Apparently I am the troll now.

Conclusion

YouTube is one of the best inventions on internet. It's a bit unfair that a troll got away with his false claims and I can't even respond. I deleted the whole post destroying some good information. Thanks YouTube.

I wonder if this blog post gets flagged by Google as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch out for YouTube commenting

YouTube comments  I am quite hooked to YouTube movies and share sometimes my thoughts or opinion in the comment section. I am always factual...